The first organ was built in 1876 by Bishop and Son and contained 29 stops over three manuals and pedals. It is now in use at St Augustine’s Church at Unley.
The present four manual instrument was newly built in 1929 by William Hill and Sons and Norman and Beard. It was dedicated on July 6th, 1930 and is representative of the unspoilt ultra romantic English cathedral organ. Its sound is influenced by the building’s excellent acoustics. Continued preservation of this instrument – as the grandest substantially unaltered church organ in the city of Adelaide – makes it important historically.
The first part of the case work was donated in 1963 by its designer, Walter Bagot. It is hoped that the work will be completed as part of ongoing Cathedral Restoration Project.
The Mixture V rank was given in 1989 by the Royal School of Church Music and the pedal Contra Trombone 32′ was installed in 1989 in memory of musicians associated with the Cathedral. These full length pipes, which soar above the transept where the first organ was housed, are not the largest pipes in the instrument. The 32′ Double Open Diapason rank, placed inside the main case, contains the largest organ pipes in South Australia.
The complete restoration of the Cathedral Organ is seen as Phase one of the Cathedral 150 programme. It is an ambitious and forward-looking programme of restoration of organ. Join us as the Cathedral and Diocese look ahead to the next one hundred and fifty years of mission and ministry.
Read more about this appeal and how you can help here.