Building

Architecture

The first bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short, brought with him in 1848, plans for a Cathedral. The plans had been drawn up by English architect William Butterfield. A copy of a Butterfield plan for the Cathedral can be seen on the wall in the passage to the northern side of the Chancel. Butterfield was very interested in polychromatic patterns of bricks and stone in his buildings. Two examples of Butterfield’s work can be seen in the reredos in the Lady Chapel and in the Font near the front door.

The Cathedral was started in 1869 and the first section was completed and opened fully for services in 1877. The change of colour in the ceiling of the nave shows where the first part ended. Photographs of the building of the Cathedral can be seen in the passage to the northern side of the Chancel. The rest of the nave was completed by 1901. The towers were completed in 1902 and The Lady Chapel was completed in 1904. The last section to be completed was the front steps in 1911.

In the 1990s much restoration was started. The floor needed replacing; some tiles were retained and others made in England to match were used. The roof, of Welsh slate, had to be replaced again with Welsh slate. The pinnacles around the Lady Chapel have been removed until funds are available to repair the damage done over a century’s exposure to the atmosphere. Restoration is a continuing activity in any building of this nature.

Copyright © St Peters Cathedral Council